5 cm of ginger grated
3 tbsp. of sugar
250ml of water
- Put half the grated ginger, 2 tbsp. of the sugar and the water into a medium sized sterilised jar and shake well. Take lid off and cover with muslin or cotton and an elastic band.
- Put in a warm place and shake the jar every time to look at it for 24hrs.
- After 24hrs you should see bubbles. Add 1 tbsp of sugar and 2-3cm of grated ginger every day for 3 days and keep shaking the jar.
- You ginger bug is ready to make ginger beer with, if you don’t want to use it right now then you can either continue feeding and shaking it every few days or put it in the fridge where it will go to sleep for a bit (it will need feeding again as soon as you remove it from the fridge).
20cm of ginger grated
2 lemons, juiced
6L of water
1x ginger bug
- Put grated ginger and 2L of water into a large pan and bring to the boil. Once boiling simmer for 30mins.
- Take off the heat and add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Strain the grated ginger from the liquid and then add the other 4L of cold water and the juice of the two lemons.
- The liquid should be cool now, add the ginger bug and stir. Pour this all into a large plastic bucket or glass jar (not metal). Put lid on and leave for 24hrs in a warm place.
- After 24hrs it should smell like ginger beer and be bubbling. If not give it a little more ginger and sugar and leave another 24hrs.
- Sieve again as you pour it into plastic bottles but leave at least 3/4 inches empty at the top.
- Leave in a cool place until you wish to drink, which should be a minimum of 5 days later (be careful when opening as it may be lively).
- All or most of the sugar will be eaten up by the fermentation process.
NOTE: You can use the ginger bug to start all sorts of fermented drinks. I have made a healthy probiotic version of Fanta and an Elderflower Beer with the bug, by adding it in the same way as above, just with swapping out the ginger in the second stage with something else.
For more healthy hints, tips and recipes check out my books on this link here.
And, of more support with your health check out my online membership site here, it’s free to join for a month and totally rinse all the resources in that time and come along to our live sessions too.