Fermented Curtido Recipe
This is a central American spicy kraut which is so blooming good and yet so bloomign simple and of course probiotic and nutrient dense.
- 1 medium white cabbage, thinly cut or grated
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots grated
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced small
- 2 tbsp. fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp, Himalayan or sea salt
- 1 tsp of seaweed flakes (optional)
- Put all the Ingredients into a large bowl and mix
- Squeeze (or pound down with a kraut pounder) the mixture until liquid/brine starts to come out of the vegetables
- When it feels like you have squeeze most of the liquid out place the mixture (including the liquid/brine) into a sterile jar, packing it in tightly
- If the liquid does not come up above the mixture in the jar add a little bit of filtered water until it does
- Make sure there is at least 2cm gap at the top of the jar
- Put a cabbage leaf, a piece of wax paper, a bag of water or a boiled pebble into the jar on top of the mixture to make sure it’s all weighed down and stays under the liquid
- Put the lid on loosely and out somewhere at room temperature and out of direct sunlight for a week
- Open the jar slightly every day to ‘burp’ the ferment, allowing the gases out
- Once you start consuming the ferment put in a fridge
For more healthy hints, tips and recipes check out my books on this link here.
And, of more support with your health check out my online membership site here, it’s free to join for a month and totally rinse all the resources in that time and come along to our live sessions too.