20cm of ginger grated
2 lemons, juiced
6L of water
1x ginger bug (or make one here)
3 x sticks of cinnamon
1/4 tsp. of ground nutmeg
6 cardamon pods (broken open)
2 x cloves
- Put grated ginger, all the spices and 2L of water into a large pan and bring to the boil. Once boiling simmer for 30mins.
- Take off the heat and add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Strain the grated ginger from the liquid and then add the other 4L of cold water and the juice of the two lemons.
- The liquid should be cool now, add the ginger bug and stir. Pour this all into a large plastic bucket or glass jar (not metal). Put lid on and leave for 24hrs in a warm place.
- After 24hrs it should smell like ginger beer and be bubbling. If not give it a little more ginger and sugar and leave another 24hrs.
- Sieve again as you pour it into plastic bottles but leave at least 3/4 inches empty at the top.
- Leave in a cool place until you wish to drink, which should be a minimum of 5 days later (be careful when opening as it may be lively).
- All or most of the sugar will be eaten up by the fermentation process.
For more healthy hints, tips and recipes check out my books on this link here.
And, of more support with your health check out my online membership site here, it’s free to join for a month and totally rinse all the resources in that time and come along to our live sessions too.