½ – 1 dozen chilli peppers, steamed and chopped (traditionally done with green peppers, but I love the red one’s)
1 bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
1 bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
12 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
1 tsp. coriander seeds, freshly ground
1 tsp cumin seeds, freshly ground
1 tsp. cardamom, freshly ground
Juice of 1 small lemon
1 tsp. of good quality salt
50 – 70 ml of water
1 tsp. seaweeds flakes (optional)
1 tsp. of mustard seeds, freshly ground (optional)
- Place all the ingredients (but just half the water to start with) into a food processor and blend to a paste. If it will not blend properly add the other half of the water.
- Place into a sterilised jar, making sure there is at least 2 cms of space in the top of the jar.
- Add a little more water if the mix is above the liquid in the jar.
- Weigh everything down with a cabbage leaf, a pebble or a kitchen weight of some description. Burp/let the gas out every day (or twice daily if it seems lively) until to stops gassing.
- This is ready after 5 days, but better if left for a week or two.
- Once you start consuming from the jar, put it in the fridge.
- You can toast all the spices first for a slightly different flavour, but either way this recipe is a delight to the senses, as it smells, looks and tastes amazing.
For more healthy hints, tips and recipes check out my books below…
Loving Yourself Inside & Out here.
Living a Life Less Toxic here.
Cleanse – The Holistic Detox Program for Mind, Body and Soul here.