Free-from Mushroom and Lentil Bake Recipe
Serves 10 – 12
200 g of red lentils
3 large carrots, crated
2 large onions
½ a bunch of celery, diced
500 g mushrooms, diced
6 garlic cloves, minced
100 g of oats
200 g walnuts, chopped
100 g sunflower seeds, chopped
100 g chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp. miso paste
1 – 1.5 tsp. of cayenne pepper
2 tbsp. dried oregano
2 tbsp. dried thyme
1 tbsp. dried parsley
1.5 litre of vegetable stock
2 tbsp. of olive oil
3 tbsp. ground flax seed + 6 tbsp water (to make a flax ‘egg’)
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Rinse the lentils and add to stock and bring to the boil, reduce heat and cook for 10 mins and then set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a shallow large dish with wax paper
- Combine the flax and water well and leave to thicken
- In a food processor finely chop the onion, garlic, mushroom, celery and carrots
- Warm the oil in a large pan and add the cayenne and onion mix and cook on a low heat for 10 minutes
- Add the onion mix, oats, herbs, miso, tomatoes, nut and seeds to the lentil mix and mix well whilst putting back on the heat and cooking for another 10 – 15 minutes (you may also need to add a little more stock at this stage if it seems dry)
- Process the remaining ingredients to finely chop (oats for oat flour, bread for breadcrumbs, walnuts and sunflower seeds) then add them to the bowl along with the herbs.
- Add the flax egg and mix again
- Pour into your large over dish (and it should pour, as there should be a little liquid left)
- Cook for 40 – 45 minutes and serve
For more healthy hints, tips and recipes check out my books below…
Loving Yourself Inside & Out here.
Living a Life Less Toxic here.
Cleanse – The Holistic Detox Program for Mind, Body and Soul here.